What is the difference between a kayak and a canoe?
- A canoe is a boat for two people with the option for a child in the middle. It sits higher on the water and you paddle on one side. A kayak is a shorter, lower boat. We have solo and tandem kayaks making it an option for 1 or 2 people. In a kayak you use a paddle with a blade on both ends.
What is the difference between a recreational, tandem, and day touring kayak?
- A recreational kayak is a stable, and often open faced kayak. A day touring kayak is a longer, thin kayak that gains speed faster but is easier to tip. A tandem kayak is a recreational kayak that two people can use together
What is the difference between an inflatable and composite SUP?
- There are not too many differences between an inflatable and composite SUP. An inflatable board typically sits higher up on the water than a hard board, and is more durable. A composite board will do a better job of cutting through waves if you are paddling on a larger lake. Other than that it is mainly personal preference.
Where can I keep my belongings while on the water?
- We recommend leaving any belongings in your car, but if you do wish to take anything out on the water your best option is to bring or purchase a drybag. Car keys and licenses are taken by the waterfront staff as a liability and will be returned when the boats are brought back to the waterfront.
What happens if I tip my boat?
- We offer a $5 instruction course for all new paddlers where the waterfront staff will teach you how to properly paddle the boats. If your boat does tip after receiving the instructions course we will recover it free of charge. However, if you refuse the instruction course and tip your boat, we have a $50-100 rescue fee if you require assistance from the waterfront staff to bring your boat back to the docks. If anything is lost in the river due to the tipping of your boat, we can search for it but we are not liable if it can not be found.
How many people can fit in the boats?
- 2 people can fit in most of the canoes and tandem kayaks, all other kayaks fit 1 person. Paddle boards are also single paddler boats. Our 3-seater canoes fit 2 adult paddlers and a child
Where can we put the boats in the water?
- We are located on the south muskoka river and have docks available to launch the boats from our location for the hourly rentals. You are not required to move the boats off site unless you are taking one for a multi-day rental.
Where can we paddle while doing the hourly rentals?
- In 1 hour you can go to the Bracebridge falls in the middle of town, in two hours you can explore sharps creek, and in four hours you can go visit the South Muskoka Falls and stop for a bit of a swim.
How hard/long are the bike trails?
- Our bike trails consist of a 6km loop that begins fairly simple and as you move further into the trails they get more complex. We recommend the trails for more experienced riders but if you stick to the outer loop beginners can enjoy our trails as well.
What biking trails are nearby (road/mountain)?
- For road biking we recommend going up Santa’s Village Road and Golden Beach Road, which run along the Muskoka river. As for mountain biking trails, you get access to our trails when renting bikes from us or can purchase a $5 summer trail day pass. Further up the road Kerr park also has bike trails available for use
What is the age range for the climbing wall?
- The range for use of the rock wall is based on the size of the harnesses. The smallest harness we have is an extra small that fits about a 7 year old depending on the size of the child, and the largest we have is an extra extra large.
Do you need to book in advance?
- For weekend adventures or rentals and large group rentals we require 48 hours for advance bookings. If you did not book in advance, no worries, you may still come visit us in store and we can try to put you and your group out on the water on a first come first serve basis.
Can I book for 1 day?
- For rentals that are taken off site there is a 2 day minimum. Any rentals that are on site and utilize our docks are done in 1, 2, or 4 hour adventures.
Do I need to put in a deposit/down payment for rentals?
- In order to reserve boats/bikes in advance for rentals or adventures, we require a deposit of 50% or you may pay in full. This deposit secures that the boats are ready and available for your visit.
If we pay for an hourly rental and decide to keep the boat/bike out for longer, can we just pay the difference?
- With our busy schedules we need to know exactly when each boat is going out and coming back. This means you should book for the amount of time you would like to be on the water. If you are debating between two times we suggest you choose the longer of the two.
What is the cancellation policy
- We require 48 hours advance notice for cancellations on rentals. We can either give you a credit that is good for up to a year or reschedule your booking for a later date. We can also refund everything but 30% of the order.
What is included in the rentals?
- All boat rentals we include lifejackets and paddles for all paddlers in the boat, as well as a safety kit in each boat. Bike rentals include helmets and area maps. We provide any necessary equipment for boats and bike rentals, all we ask is you return everything you take out.
What happens if it rains?
- Unfortunately we can not control the weather, so if it happens to rain on the day you scheduled your rentals it is up to you if you still want to go out on the water or trails. We can not issue any refunds due to the weather, but we can reschedule the rental for a later date.